An IT Specialist is someone who helps companies manage their IT operations and maintain their software, hardware and networking systems. In general, people working in IT jobs are responsible for:
- Troubleshooting problems with business software, hardware and networking systems
- Identifying probable IT issues and resolving them to ensure seamless IT operations
- Training staff to effectively use existing and new IT solutions
- Maintaining security and keeping online threats at bay
- Determining business or industry IT needs and creating IT solutions to meet them
Employers usually look for a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field. However, someone with master’s degree in IT and additional certifications are offered senior positions and higher salaries. An IT specialist with few years of experience typically earns $45,000 per year. The salary increases as they gain experience. IT specialists working in IT development and finance sectors command higher salaries than their peers.