Paper Mill Project Engineer
- The Kraft Group
- Montville, CT
- November 20, 2017
Rand-Whitney Containerboard, Paper Mill Project Engineer
The Project Engineer utilizes engineering methodology to implement capital and process improvement projects. Uses CAD to do basic design and to modify existing engineering drawings. Administers capital estimates and ensures that project spending is within authorization. Ensure process capability and reliability of new installations of production equipment. Project Engineer reports to Engineering Manager.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Develop scopes of work and detailed cost estimates for capital and major maintenance projects.
- Works within the Maximo system to set up projects, obtain authorization and tracks to completion.
- Administers project details and ensures that spending is within the amount authorized.
- Tracks actual spending on all capital and major maintenance projects vs. the annual budget and publishes routinely.
- Utilizes Computer Aided Design software to design equipment modifications as well as modifying existing drawings.
- Implement process and equipment improvement projects to reduce cost, improve reliability and production.
- Effectively interfaces with production team, technical manager, facility manager and others as needed.
- Interfaces with the legal department to form purchasing contracts on larger purchases.
- Negotiates with contractors to insure that project spending and terms are optimized plus risks are mitigated.
- Interface with contractors to insure the project scope covers all details and projects are installed as intended by RWCB; insure project timeline is understood and agreed to, avoid any change orders that would impact project cost over-runs.
- Manages the inventory of engineering drawings.
- Maintains an organized work area plus equipment staging areas.
- Utilizes training to assist team in resolving production, safety, quality and reliability problems.
- Available for weekend call duty and share team shutdown responsibilities.
- Performs other related duties, as required.
Skills, Qualifications & Experience
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering preferred. Chemical and Electrical engineers will be considered.
- 5-10 years of applicable experience in an engineering and manufacturing environment.
- Knowledgeable in the operation of pumps, piping, valves and other system components used in our mill.
- Computer savvy, experienced with CAD, MS Project, Outlook, Word and Excel. Experience with Maximo a plus.
- Good writing and communication skills.
- Ability to negotiate price and terms on project purchases.
- Knowledge and application of safe work practices and OSHA equipment requirements.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, planning and problem-solving/troubleshooting skills
- Comfortable in a manufacturing environment
- Ability to work independently and effectively on teams
- Demonstrate respect, ownership, cooperation and responsibility
- Willing to work nights and weekends as required
- Limited traveling required
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race/Color/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Religion/National Origin/Disability/Vets
The Kraft Group is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with disability, or any other legally protected status. All applicants must be able to show proof of eligibility to work in the United States.